What are Bug Report components?
What fields do you fill out in a Bug Report?
Describe to me the basic elements you put in a defect/bug report?
· Report number: Unique number given to the report
· Application / Module being tested
· Version & release number
· Problem Summary / Short Description / Synopsis
· Steps to reproduce (Detailed Description)
· Severity (Critical, Serious, Minor, Suggestion)
· Priority (High, Medium, Low)
· Environment (Software and/or hardware configuration)
· Reported by
· Assigned to
· Status (Open, Pending, Fixed, Closed, cannot reproduce, etc.)
· Resolution / Notes
If you find a bug and the
developer says it is as-designed, what can you do?
- find an exact requirement, which defines the way it should be designed
- if there is no specific requirement compare to same feature implemented in quality applications (ask your manager which applications to compare to)
How do you write a bug report?
· Write one bug report for each fix to be verified
· Bug report should be as complete as possible
· Bug reports are as concise as possible
· Report a bug immediately, do not postpone
· Use technical terms, not "people off the street" language
What is the most important part of bug report?
· Steps to reproduce
· Short Description
What is the bug life cycle?
The bug should go through the life cycle to be
closed. Here are the stages:
- bug found
- bug reported
- bug assigned to developer
- bug fixed by developer
- fix verified by tester
- bug closed
How can a tester be sure that
bug was fixed?
- execute the steps in the bug report
- make sure the fixed bug does not result in new bugs in same area